Black truffle is a succulent body of underground ascomycete fungi, mainly one of the several species of the genus Trimycota. Besides Tuber, some other genera of fungi also fall into the category of truffles, such as Geopora, Peziza, Leucangium and several others.
This species typically has sugary roots with a soft and sweet fleshy centre that is easily browned when cut open. The most important characteristic of this mushroom is its succulence, which can be compared to dark chocolate with the flavour resembling that of almonds. The edible parts include the seeds and stems, while the root-like parts are also eaten as part of the truffle. Black truffles are known to have a high value, especially in France and Italy.
Black truffles have become the flavour of many cooking recipes and in particular, desserts that taste good when dipped into chocolate. In fact, it is not just desserts that taste good when dipped in chocolate and not only this but the root of the truffle makes a delicious garnish. But why don't you go to the shops to buy a box of them or maybe a bag of black truffle sea salt? It's easy and cheap to buy these and if you find yourself in the mood to try them, the following are a few things you should keep in mind when buying them. These tips will help you ensure that you get a good quality truffle from the start, and you will end up with a beautiful souvenir for your own home or even for gifting to someone.
* Get a good brand. While this may seem obvious, many people tend to believe that if you get a good quality brand you can get away with using cheaper varieties but this is definitely not true. While cheaper brands may be more readily available than higher-quality ones, they may also contain contaminants which are not ideal for your health.
* Salt should be pure. It is advised to get salt with a natural and unrefined salt content to avoid impurities which could ruin the taste of your truffle and even the appearance of your food.
* Don't get too much salt in the ingredients. It is advisable to use just a little salt so that the black truffle will retain its colour and flavour.
* Cleanliness is important when using any kind of foodstuff so make sure that you keep this in mind. A good product for your kitchen will not leave any residue on the table which can make your food taste funny and that is a sure sign that something is wrong.
* Keep the salt in a dry place. This will help it retain its freshness and keep your home smelling good. And if there is humidity in the air, the salt will lose its freshness.
* Avoid over-filling the ingredients. Remember that the ingredients should be mixed slowly into each other until the texture of the mix becomes smooth. A mixture that is too lumpy may have an unpleasant taste and the texture may lose some of its originality.
* Know what ingredients you're using. The black truffle salt should be made from a certain type of chocolate or some other type of cocoa powder, so check first if you want to get the product that is safe for your family.
* Once you've got the recipe right, then the next thing you need to do is to put the salt in the fridge and keep it there for about a day until it loses its freshness and is nice and dark in colour.
* Keep your salt on hand as a quick and easy source of food. And remember that a good quality salt should last for weeks if stored properly.